For Verndale Pirate’s head football coach Mike Mahlen, the accolades continue to roll in.
The National High School Athletic Coaches Association has announced that Mahlen has been named a national finalist for Football Coach of the Year. He is among eight finalists from eight states up for the honor and is one of seven coaches from Minnesota named a finalist for their respective sport.
Minnesota coaches named a finalist include:
- Mike Mahlen- Verndale football
- Chet Stevenson- Brainerd assistant coach
- Wendy DeVorak Kohler- Alexandria girls basketball
- Paul Twenge- Minnetonka baseball
- Tom Vix- Rushford-Peterson boys basketball
- Nate Linsheid- Visitation swimming and diving
- Steve Paulsen- Edina Tennis
— NHSACA (@nhsaca) January 28, 2019
To see the entire list of finalists, click here.